Friday, February 24, 2012

Choosing our Battles

One of my main ways of coping with my cancer diagnoses and attempting to reduce my risk of recurrence is, as you know, learning about the links between cancer and the environment, and both doing what I can personally do to reduce my exposure to carcinogenic chemicals, and engaging in activism to push for stronger governmental regulation of chemicals.   

You know how overwhelming it is when there are so many worthy issues and causes to fight for, and you don't know how to choose, but you have to prioritize because your time is limited? I can't take action on every "Sign this! Call your Senator about this!" email that comes to my inbox, so I pick my battles... And I don't bother with activism that's focused on banning/regulating any ONE chemical, because it's just not enough.  


There's no point in buying something "BPA-free!" if it's poisoned with other chemicals. I mean, if strawberries were labeled "Formaldehyde free!!", would that make them appealing and safe to eat?? Not if they still have 6 other toxic chemicals in them! This is why it's so important to focus on an overarching policy that requires manufacturers to prove the safety of their products before they are used. Banning or regulating one chemical at a time, when there are 80,000+, seems like a misuse of time and energy.

So take a moment to ask your Senator to co-sponsor the Safe Chemicals Act!  The Safe Chemicals Act will put limits on the toxic chemicals that are in use today and found in our air, water, dirt, food, and products. 

No comments:

Post a Comment