Sunday, August 29, 2010

La la la

At the Michigan Womyn's Music Festival (which I go to every August), there are several Sacred Singing Circles and healing circles throughout the week, at which we sing all kinds of spiritual songs and chants from various cultures. I love most of the songs, but there is one that kind of creeps me out. It's a cheerful, rather cheesy little song:

"Every little cell in my body is happy,
Every little cell in my body is well!
Every little cell in my body is happy,
Every little cell in my body is well!
I'm so glad that every little cell,
every little cell in my body is well!
I'm so glad that every little cell,
every little cell is happy and well!"

I used to sing along to this without even thinking about it. But now... I got to thinking. Cancer is not a disease in which foreign, evil cells infiltrate your body and your immune system has to fight them off. Cancer occurs when your own, formerly normal cells go rogue. These cells ignore all of the "rules" for normal cells, and start multiplying like crazy, get all cocky and think they're immortal, and try to take over your body and thus can kill you. I DON'T WANT TO SING A SONG TO MAKE THESE CELLS HAPPY! But a song that goes "Every little cell in my body except-for-the-cancer-cells is happy" sounds so clunky. How about "Every little cancer cell in my body is unhappy and dying"? Ha, so poetic.

How does it help my health to sing about EVERY LITTLE CELL in my body being happy, when some of the cells in my body FREAKIN SUCK? I don't wanna sing that song and have the cancer cells start cheering and dancing and throwing a party in honor of receiving my support and blessing, sheesh. Where's a song I can sing to make the cancer cells cry and wail and submit to apoptosis? (That's cell death - aPOPtosis. I like to imagine them all going POP! BANG! like balloons).

Stupid song. Stupid cancer.

[And yes, I'm mostly being facetious. You should know by now that unlike a lot of people, I absolutely don't believe that any song I sing, thought I have, mental image I conjure up, or prayer that I pray can really grow or shrink cancer!!!]

1 comment:

  1. Love you Britta. I'd love to go with you next year to the festival.

    Love
    Sue

    ReplyDelete