Sunday, May 30, 2010

Anti-cancer weekend :)

Tamoxifen in 5 days, but I'm not thinking about that right now.

I have had a WONDERFUL weekend, and a very ANTI-CANCER weekend! :)

I've been re-reading Dr. David Servan-Schrieber's Anti-Cancer. I think I should read this book on a regular basis, because it's so uplifting and inspiring. Every time I read even a little part of it, my determination to make my body's terrain totally unwelcoming to cancer is reaffirmed and increased and I get a little more excited by how truly possible this IS. Also, re-reading it reminds me of details I had forgotten.

Dr. David says that these are the good things to be doing:

* Eating a healthy anti-cancer diet

What I ate (just yesterday and today) included the following:

-2 bags of frozen cauliflower (contains sulforaphane and indole-3-carbinols - anticancer molecules)
-1 bag of frozen sweet potato ("a study that tracked breast cancer patients for six years showed that those who consumed the most foods rich in carotenoids lived longer than those who consumed less." p. 136)
-1 bag of frozen strawberries (ellagic acid and polyphenols stimulate mechanisms of elimination of carcinogens)
-1 clove garlic (sulfur compounds promote apoptosis - cell death - in breast cancer)
-1 can of grapefruit (anti-inflammatory flavonoids)
-a few cups of nettles infusion (nourishes every system of the body)
-1/3 of a bar of 85% dark chocolate (antioxidants, proanthocyanidins, and polyphenols slow the growth of cancer cells and limit angiogenesis.)

And I had all of the following supplements each day:
-3 dropperfuls of green tea extract (facilitates death of cancer cells, rich in polyphenols)
-4 Juice Plus capsules (concentrated fruits & veggies)
-1 Turmeric capsule ("the most powerful natural anti-inflammatory identified today." p. 134. also stimulates apoptosis in cancer cells)
-20 mg melatonin (slows breast cancer growth by reducing linoleic acid)
-2000 IU vitamin D (stimulates apoptosis in cancer cells, increases healthy cells)
-3 digestive enzymes capsules (so my body can actually assimilate all the good stuff I'm eating!)
-2 fish oil/omega-3 capsules (reduces inflammation, reduces cancer cell growth)
-2 T ground flax seeds (phytoestrogens, flushes estrogen out of the body, acts like Tamoxifen)

* Avoiding products containing industrial chemicals whenever possible
This weekend, like every day, I used all-natural, paraben-free shampoo, soap, deodorant, and toothpaste. Today I bought and used Badger Balm sunblock, the 2nd best/healthiest sunblock, according to the Environmental Working Group's 2010 report. I drank filtered water out of glass and ceramic containers.

* 20-30 mins of physical activity each day, minimum

I did some pull-ups, and I walked for an hour yesterday and another hour today. I did not use my car at ALL, and thus helped take care of the Earth as well as myself.

* Sunlight for 20 mins per day (vitamin D)

I spent at least 2 hours walking in the sun, and 90 minutes at the river with friends. I got plenty of vitamin D and then put on sunblock so I wouldn't get burned!

* Regularly practicing a method of self-centering and relaxation
I spent time in nature, wandering around the cemetery and taking photos of my favorite statues, like this:




* Accepting yourself and your emotions, and getting support from family and friends
I journaled, and processed emotions in long emails to a friend. I spent a lot of GREAT time with friends this weekend... we had brunch, and went swimming at the rock river. I said thank you prayers, and slept a lot, and spent the first hour that I was awake this morning just lying in bed and thinking happy thoughts.

And I was SO SO HAPPY with my hair!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking the same thing, that reading Servan-Schreiber's book regularly would be a great idea ... it really is so full of positive energy and practical advice!

    Ha ha, you and I are such geeks with our charts and lists and records! ;-)

    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxomom

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, i know! flowcharts and tables and daily logs...

    ReplyDelete