Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Kindness of Strangers

My recent experiences with the kindness of strangers:

1. Many of you know how much I despise the telephone! And what telephone experience could be worse than having to call your insurance company and your hospital's billing department to try and figure out why one of your medical procedures hasn't been covered by insurance? I'd been putting it off for months, until the bill for one of my ultrasounds came in the mail for the THIRD time, so I sucked it up and made the calls. I was surprised by how kind every single person I talked to was! As it turns out, my insurance company hadn't been billed for this ultrasound - so all I had to do was call the hospital's billing company and give them my insurance info. The first time I called, I didn't have all of the required info about my insurance, so I told the person on the phone that I'd talk with my insurance company and then call back with the rest of the info. I called back about 10 minutes later, and it was someone else on the line, Terry. When I said I was calling to update my insurance information, she replied, "Oh, FANTASTIC! I would be so glad to help you with that!!" and she thanked me multiple times for "calling back so promptly" and then she got me giggling by joking about the strange "Dr. Dynosaur" program (which is associated with my health insurance co.), and she was just so surprisingly cheerful and kind throughout the whole phone call. It was probably the first time I'd ever had a chatty-and-giggly phone conversation with a billing representative of a medical institution! Thank you, Terry!

2. A couple weeks ago, I went to the laundromat to do two huge loads of laundry. After I transferred it all to a dryer, I went to run errands, and returned about an hour later to fold it all and get it back in my car. But as I started to approach the dryer, the woman who works there jumped ahead of me with a smile to retrieve my clothes out of the dryer - FOLDED AND BAGGED! She told me she "got bored" and folded all of my laundry for me, and she hoped I wasn't mad! MAD?? I was, in fact, bowled over with gratitude! She smiled more, and told me to a have great day, and held the door for me on my way out... when I got home and opened the bags, I discovered the most BEAUTIFULLY folded laundry I have ever had. Super neat, tidy stacks of meticulously folded clothes...clothes which usually just end up shoved haphazardly in my drawers, if they make it to drawers at all. I seriously almost took photos to capture the beauty of her folding.

Okay, IT'S SUNNY! I MUST GET OUT IN THE SUNSHINE!

No comments:

Post a Comment