Monday, February 22, 2010

Sparkles

I hung out with 4 awesome kids today, and let the girls make a wonderfully fun, sparkly mess of my nails.



Six-year-old N wordlessly hugged me about 6 times within the first half hour, as if to reassure herself that I was healthy, solid, real. Her mom told me that the kids knew a woman who recently died of ovarian cancer, so N, especially, has been talking a lot about how the cancer Britta has is different, right? The kind the doctors can fix, right? And Britta's going to be okay. I think it was good for the both of us to be together, playing beauty parlor, laughing, running through the woods, eating mac 'n cheese, like "before"!

N's 9-year-old sister, S, asked in the midst of blowing on my nails to dry them - "So, was this surgery the same as the other two? And what were the results?" I was not only touched by her concern, but impressed by how much she knows/understands about my journey thus far, as evidenced by the specificity of her questions. I was glad to be able to tell her that my 3rd surgery was my last!

And off we ran into the sparkly sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment