Sunday, February 15, 2015

Welcome! I'm glad you're here!

Hi, I'm Britta! 

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009, at the age of 30.  It was a huge shock, because I was so young, had no family history of the disease, and was very healthy.  How could I possibly have cancer?  I'd been flying on the trapeze for years, having no idea that there was a cancerous tumor inside of me!  It was crazy.  But it really happened, and can happen to anyone.  It turned my world upside down.  There was, of course, a lot of pain and misery.  But overall, my post-cancer life is so much happier than my pre-cancer life... and had I not gone through cancer treatments, I would not have met my partner, the absolute love of my life.  Isn't life strange?!

This post always stays at the top, but the other posts are in reverse chronological order.  This blog started as a place to keep my family and friends updated with the latest news about my boob and its saga, and to share my story in hopes that it would be of help to other women facing breast cancer, or their loved ones.  

Over time, as I finished and healed from treatments and was able to broaden my focus, I began to learn about became obsessed with learning about the environmental links to cancer.  I became an environmental activist, and this blog is expanded WAAAAY beyond my boob now.  It's more about how my boob is connected with the rest of my body, and how my body is connected with the bodies of all women everywhere, and how all of our bodies are connected to the Earth.  Our bodies are a part of the Earth's body and thus cannot be separated or understood in isolation.




4 comments:

  1. Hey Britta, so thrilled to check in here and read how well you're doing. I'm not on Facebook any longer and haven't been to the TH site in over a year... but thought of you the other day and was glad I had a place to check in.

    Take care, chica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, amber! good to "see" you! and thanks! :) i haven't been to the TH site in a long time, either. how are you doing?

    britta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britta, I am Hugabee. You knew me from a certain Usenet newsgroup. In addition to the Usenet newsgroup we were both in, I have seen you in other message boards.

    Britta, I was SHOCKED to see that you have had breast cancer. I am so thankful that you are recovering from it.

    Please take care, and have a good recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Britta, I have just randomly come across your blog and it's great. I share a similar story. I started my blog to share my story with friends and family, I was diagnosed with Leukaemia in 2012, when I was 19. I have also grown to love blogging ever since I started my blog and the blogging community is amazing.
    Your an amazing inspirational woman! I am adding your blog to my reading list to read through it properly this evening with a cuppa tea. I will link my blog below if you want to check it out.
    Elisha xxxx
    www.aspoon-full-ofsugar.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete