Monday, December 28, 2009

No Chemo

I just published a long, anti-chemo post, then un-published it. I'm going to sleep on it and see if I still want to publish it in the morning.

The gist of it is, I'm feeling strongly anti-chemo. I'm thinking that as long as there is no lymph node involvement (which no one THINKS there is, but we won't know till after surgery), then I am going to say NO WAY to chemo, regardless of whether my doctor(s) or the Oncotype DX test recommend it. I can't bring myself to allow doctors to pump my veins full of poison, just as an attempt to prevent a recurrence of cancer, which may or may not ever happen. Right now the idea of voluntarily putting dangerous toxins into my body seems worse to me than taking the risk of having a recurrence.

Thoughts??

2 comments:

  1. I AGREE 100%.
    i would not do it either, for the same reasons you mentioned. no way!
    go with your gut!
    xoxo
    cathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh... chemo is so fucking scary.

    but- i have to say- GO WITH WHATEVER YOUR DOCTORS TELL YOU TO DO.

    This is coming from a person who has a huge appreciation and belief in the benefits of alternative medicine/herbs/chinese medicine/etc... but also roots in western medicine as well.

    All medicine, even herbs, are poisons to some degree. Tylenol can be poison. Every time you medicate yourself it's kind of like controlled poisoning.

    The word "chemo" is scary, yes. Some of the drugs are scary, yes. But cells that will kill you are scarier. I WANT YOU AROUND AS LONG AS POSSIBLE! Ultimately, my advice is to listen to the people who have dedicated their lives to studying cancers and how to cure them... your doctors.

    Ultimately the goal of your doctors is to keep you alive. Sometimes- you have to do something kind of bad so you get a greater good...

    Again, this is the kind of stuff i deal with daily... stuff that is painful now, but helps in the long run. I have to keep telling myself that every time i stick needles into kittens... "this is for the good of the patient..."

    ReplyDelete